SHIRLEY VETS, SOUTHAMPTON VETS ---- WE HAVE BEEN CARING FOR YOUR PETS FOR OVER 30 YEARS
Cats, Dogs, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Mice, Hamsters, Birds,
Snakes, Tortoises and more
Special Christmas Safety Tips
Christmas is a wonderful time of year but can be hazardous for you pets.
Here are a few simple suggestions for keeping your pet safe over Christmas.
Turkey or chicken bones - they can splinter and puncture or block your pets intestinal tract or get stuck in their throat.
Alcoholic beverages - don’t leave half-empty glasses on the floor, pets liver enzymes don’t metabolize alcohol as efficiently as a humans can.
Chocolate - highly toxic to dog’s especially dark chocolate.
Ham/Gammon Joints (left over food in general) - very high in fat and salt and can cause a gastro enteritis (diarrhoea and vomiting).
Plants - such as Poinsettias, Mistletoe, Holly, Yew trees and Lilies are all poisonous to pets and must be kept well out of reach.
Fruit cake - raisins can be toxic.
Anchor your Christmas tree securely to stop your pets from pulling it over on to themselves.
Fallen Christmas tree needles are very sharp and can get stuck in pet’s paws and throat.
Decorations can cause accidents or even be fatal to pets. Most pets will show an interest in brightly coloured hanging decorations, ensure any breakable decorations are up high where pets cannot reach them. Try not to use tinsel or ribbons if your pet, particularly cats are likely to chew/eat them, these are dangerous to the gastro intestinal tract if swallowed.
Flashing fairy lights can frighten some pets. Cover up electrical cords so your pet can’t chew them and electrocute themselves.
Do not place chemicals in your tree's water, it may keep your tree fresher but will be harmful to you pet if they drink it.
Edible Presents/Treats should never be place around the Christmas tree.
From all of us at Christopher Carters, we wish you and your pets a very
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.